Friday 20 July 2012

Not the Bees! part 2

I've been stung! It was like a thousand tiny beedrills emerged from their pokeballs and attacked me all at once!


Just kidding. It was one little bee who stung me on my left shoulder blade. We were going into the hive to take out their feeders so we can move the hive without breaking any comb. I must admit, I've been getting cocky, or maybe just lazy. Either way, I was not wearing a bee veil or anything of the sort. As I was pulling out the feeders the bees got a little testy and one stung me. It hurt, I guess.


The circle marks around the bite are from where I pressed a penny against the sting for fifteen minutes. Shortly after arriving in Jamaica, I received an email from my grandparents saying that the copper in a penny counteracts whatever is in the sting that makes it swell. I'm not one hundred percent sure this is valid but it was worth fifteen minutes to try it! Really, though, I just feel bad for the bee who died from stinging me. While I understand the necessary survival instinct, I was not going to harm her or her hive in any way. I wish she had saved her one-time defense for a serious threat. But what can you do?

Fun (morbid?) fact: When a bee stings you it only dies because the barbed stinger get stuck in your skin and when it tries to fly away, all its organs get ripped out. Bees can sting each other without dying.

1 comment:

  1. Apply doenjang on the bite. It will detox it. No BS! Korean cure. Do not substitute Japanese miso - inferior stuff.

    ReplyDelete