Friday 22 June 2012

Beekeeping in Jamaica

This is a blog to document my work with bees this summer and my overall experiences living in Jamaica!

A little background: I am a rising junior at Pomona College majoring in Environmental Analysis with an Economics concentration. This summer, I decided to spend two months on a farm in Jamaica learning everything I could about bees. My beekeeping intership is hosted by the Adams family at Yerba Buena Farms. Our goal is to do everything in an environmentally and economically sustainable way. For us this means gathering what materials we can, using the nontraditional top bar beekeeping method (more on this to come), and keeping the bees' health and happiness our number one priority. A beekeeping expert, Tom, is coming for all of July to do workshops with us and other locals interested in having their own bees. Until then we are preparing in every way possible for his arrival.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Dee! Its your cousin Abby. I think it's really cool that you're in Jamaica, although i don't really like the bees part, 'cuz i'm allergic, but the Jamaica part is cool! Hope you're having lots of fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete